Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Girls weekend in Cyprus

I can't believe I am living in a place where I can hop on a plane and be at a beautiful island in the Mediterranean within 45 minutes. It's just such an awesome experience living overseas. A couple weekends ago, I had the privilege of spending a few days with some wonderful girlfriends in Cyprus. These are girls I've met in various ways (through work, church, etc) and we have all come together as sisters in Christ. We started a bible study, which has been so good for my soul. They are in very different walks of life than me -- they're all stay-at-home moms. Nevertheless, I click with them more than I would've expected. Our common ground is Jesus, and that's enough. Below is a picture of the four of us waiting at the airport in Adana.

From left to right: Angelica, Wendi, me, Sarah (Stebbs)

We arrived in Cyprus on Friday afternoon. As soon as we stepped off the plane, I could feel a difference. The air was cleaner, fresher. It felt more open and natural. You couldn't see the city smog or hear the distant sounds of traffic and mosque prayer calls. There were beautiful mountains surrounding us, and after going around some windy roads we could see the crystal clear blue Mediterranean. Beautiful. We arrived at our hotel, the Acapulco Resort, which was right on the water. We were told we were upgraded to rooms within the hotel, which are nicer than the bungalows were had been scheduled to stay in. I roomed with Angelica, and Wendi & Sarah S. took another room. We lounged around the hotel that night. Dinner was excellent. It was buffet-style, and they had a lovely selection of meats, pasta, fruits/veggies, and dessert. Much more variety than the typical Turkish spread.


Saturday was our spa/relaxation day. We started off the day with a nice leisurely breakfast, then we headed to the spa to check out their services and prices. Wendi decided against getting a full-body massage, since she is pregnant and didn't want to take any chances (smart decision). The rest of us wanted full treatments! Well we looked at the numbers, and it turned out it was cheaper to go in on a couples massage together and split the cost. So Stebbs and I decided to get a couples treatment, which included: a sea salt scrub, body wrap, private jacuzzi with cocktail drinks, and a one-hour full body massage. We were like, "Sign me up!!" So after a refreshing swim in the pool, we made our way to the spa. It was a wonderful, clean, peaceful spa. There was a "relaxation room" where we hung out before our treatments. We all hung out there and enjoyed some "girl time". Then we were called back. Stebbs & I went to our "couples room". We walked into a dimly lit spa room with towels folded into swans, red roses everywhere, and candles lining the jacuzzi tub. We looked at each other and just started cracking up. Then they told us to undress and get on the tables for the treatments. We are both pretty modest women, so we started devising plans. "Okay, YOU get on your table first and close your eyes, then I'll get on mine." It was hilarious. I have never laughed so much during a massage. It really would've been lovely for a couple. I just might have to take Shane back there. But this time, I shared the experience with my dear friend Sarah Stebbins. It brought us to a whole new level of friendship. :)

Here's a picture of us on our spa day:


That night we hung out in one of the hotel rooms, talking and laughing like high school girls. I brought Girl Scout cookies, so we munched on those. We talked about our husbands, kids, dogs, religion, life at Incirlik, life in general. It was so much fun. Then Angelica was sweet enough to dye my hair for me (my grays had gotten out of control). She had never done it before, so it was a fun experience for both of us. I really enjoyed spending one-on-one time with Angelica and getting to know her better. Below is a pic of the hairstylist in action. She did a very nice job!!


Sunday we went into the nearby town of Girne to do some sightseeing. It was a quaint little seaside town with lots of shops and areas for walking. It was a little cool that day with some occasional light showers, but otherwise the weather was perfect and the company was even better. We stopped for lunch at a little cafe, and enjoyed some "non-Turkish" food (pasta, breadsticks). Then we just walked around the town exploring the little alleys here and there.








It was a wonderful little get-away. I have been praying for friends since I moved to Turkey, and I really feel like God is answering my prayers by bringing these women into my life. They are each so different, but similar in that they are all solid believers seeking to live life authentically in Christ. I have really grown fond of them AND their families, especially their cute kiddos. They each have things I can learn from and try to foster in myself. I look forward to getting to know them better over the course of this assignment, and hopefully taking a couple more girls' trips! Below is a picture of us on our last day there. Great memories!!


No comments:

Post a Comment