Saturday, October 15, 2011

Things I'll miss about Turkey

A lot of people who live in Turkey complain about it. I'll be honest, I've been one of those people. This place can be sooooo frustrating. All the crazy and inconsistent Turkish rules; the lack of Western comforts (no Chick Fil-A or Target!); the fish-bowl feeling of living on a base so small; and just being so far away from loved ones... it's hard!

But there are many things I LOVE about being here.

10. I live 5 minutes from the hospital, there's never any traffic, and I always get rock-star parking at work. I can go home for lunch everyday. Oh, and if I forget something, it's super easy to go home and get it.

9. We have a gardener who takes care of our yard, picks up our dog's poop, takes out our trash can on trash days, and even washes our car. All for $60 a month.

8. We have a housekeeper who scrubs our house from top to bottom and makes it beautiful and squeaky clean for just $50 a month!

7. Since we live so close to everything on base, we don't have to drive that much... which means we don't have to spend a fortune on gas. Considering we drive a gas-guzzler (a Jeep Wrangler), this is a HUGE bonus.

6. There are so many services available within arms reach. Immediately off base is an area we call "The Alley", where there are all kinds of tradesmen. And their prices are amazing!! I've gotten numerous alterations and custom-made clothes at the tailor shop. You can get things framed for a fraction of the price you'd pay in the States. We've purchased beautiful new furniture, got a couch re-upholstered, and even had a wine cabinet door custom made to fit our Target bookshelf!

5. Did I mention how cheap things are here? I got a mini-massage, eyebrow wax, and pedicure all for $25. You can get an AMAZING one-hour massage on base for $30 - it's so affordable I've started going on a regular basis!

4. Turkish carpets. I love looking at them and buying them. I love the smell of a carpet store when I walk in. And we've become pretty good friends with one of the local carpet sellers. We often stop in just to say hi.

3. The travel opportunities!! This country is full of history and diverse geography. You can go explore ruins or you can lie out on the beach. In the past year I have visited Cappadocia, Cyprus, and Israel. We live within driving distance of Tarsus (Paul's home town) and Antioch (where the first Christian church was).

2. I love my job here! I am the only pediatrician so I really get to know all of the children on base. The hours are AWESOME. I get all weekends and holidays off - a welcome change from residency! And I'm not deployable from here.

1. The people. I know it sounds cliche - everyone in the military says that. But it's true. The people you meet really are what make an assignment so great. And especially at a base like Incirlik, we have such a small and tight-knit community. Everyone lives on base and the weather is nice year-round, so you always see people outside walking their dogs or playing with their kids. You can just "pop in" and say hi to friends, rather than having to schedule times to visit. We have made some amazing friends, many who I hope to keep for a lifetime.

So there you have it. The top ten things I will miss about Turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment