Thursday, March 1, 2012

Me and my dog

My dog Bonnie is a lot like me.  In fact, the other night Shane and I were talking about it, and when he started listing off all the similarities he said, "She's the four-legged version of you!"

First let's start with her appearance.  She has a moderately lean build with long legs.  She has dark, straight hair with some white in it (unfortunately that is true for me as well).  Shane says we both fall into the "beautiful" and "cute" categories of attractiveness.  The only difference is our eyes.  Bonnie has gorgeous blue eyes.  Mine are brown.

Then there's her temperament.  She's so gentle and sweet.  I'd like to think I'm sweet.  She's also very timid and shy.  I can also be pretty shy and slow to warm up to people.  When we first got Bonnie, we wanted to socialize her with other dogs.  When we took her around one or two dogs, she did just fine.  But we took her to a big doggie play date once (8-10 dogs) and she was so overwhelmed  Poor thing just hovered around me and Shane, too shy to run around and play with all the other dogs.  Just like her mommy.  I too feel much more comfortable with small groups of people.  You get me in a big group setting and I feel a little more shy.  But although we are shy, my puppy and I both have lots of personality.  And we have our quirks.  Bonnie does this silly thing in the morning when we feed her.  She takes a piece of her food (the chicken bit) out to the hallway and throws it around, playing with it.  But as soon as she notices Shane or I watching her, she stops.  It's so funny.  I've tried to catch it on video, but she won't do it if she knows someone is watching.  Another way in which Bonnie and I are similar is that we are both equally lazy and equally crazy.  What I mean is that we don't HAVE to be entertained all the time - which is really nice when it comes to owning a dog.  We've taken care of higher-energy dogs who HAVE to be exercised or taken out otherwise they go crazy and get into trouble.  Not so with Bonnie.  She is perfectly content lounging around the house being lazy.  Just like me.  I could sleep in everyday.  But that doesn't mean she doesn't enjoy being active.  When you say "Wanna go for a walk?" her eyes light up and she jumps up in the air.  She loves playing outside with her frisbee, going for a run while we ride on the bikes, or going for a hike with us.  She is very adventurous.  I feel like she has a good balance of being lazy and adventurous, like me.  :)

But most of all, what I love most about my dog is how LOVING she is.  She just loves to snuggle and nuzzle up to me.  She'll roll onto her back and let me rub her belly, and I can see her smiling and wagging her tail.  She loves to lick my hands, but she never licks my face (it's like she KNOWS I hate when dogs do that!).  She will, however, put her face right up to mine and look at me with the sweetest little puppy dog eyes.  She is the most loving animal I have ever met in my life.

Can you tell I am head over heels for my dog?

Anyway, I just thought I would share the ways I think my dog is just like me.  It makes me think of "101 Dalmatians" when they show all the dogs that are like their owners.




















It's official.  I'm a dog nut!!

2 comments:

  1. I told you. As much as you "loved" Scrubby, when you get your own, they are definitely your own!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a cute post Linda! I enjoyed reading it:) It will be nice to finally meet her one day!

    ReplyDelete