I went off base for a photo shoot last weekend, and as we were driving out there we saw this:
A Turkish gypsy camp. Apparently there are nomads who come and set up camp around here during harvest. I don't know how long they stay or where they come from... but I thought this was so interesting. This gypsy camp is so polar opposite of the furnished, climate-controlled American homes that are literally within eyesight. It's such an interesting juxtaposition of two extremely different lifestyles. Do these people choose this lifestyle? Do they enjoy it? Obviously not all Turks live like this. There are beautiful Turkish homes right off base as well. But I have to wonder, if these people had the choice to live a more "refined" life... would they?
Here are more pics of the camp:
Sometimes I forget I'm in a foreign country. It's easy to forget when you live on base, where we have Burger King, Pizza Hut, and Starbucks; and where everyone speaks English. Then I see a place like this, and I reminded that I am indeed in a foreign country. And not just any country, but Turkey - a developing country in the Middle East. Pretty cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment