Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Deutschland - our new home!

This is long over-due.  We arrived in Germany 3 weeks ago, but I haven't made time to write about it until now.  We flew in on a Saturday, and it was one of the quickest and easiest moves ever!  It was a 4 hour flight from Turkey, and we flew military so there was no messing around with airport lines and crowds.  When we left Turkey it was reaching 110+ degrees daily.  The day we arrived in Germany, it was about 65 degrees.  It felt AMAZING.  The air was cool and crisp.  And everything was so GREEN!  There are trees and flowers everywhere you look.  Shane and I discovered a running trail on base, and as we were running through the woods - in the middle of the day (which is impossible in Turkey this time of year) - we kept saying to each other "Wow!  This is amazing."

I spent the first 2 weeks in-processing.  We were in TLF (temporary living facilities) for 2 weeks before we moved into our new house, pictured below.  


We have loaner furniture currently, but our household goods will be arriving tomorrow - yay!!  Pics to come after everything is organized.

Also, I got a new car!  Well it's used, but new for me.  I've always wanted a Mini Cooper, and what better place to drive one than Germany?


I started working last week, and so far it's going well.  I like my co-workers, and I've adjusted to the new clinic pretty well.  Shane was accepted for a position at the Outdoor Recreation center, which is perfect for him!  He'll probably start working next month.

We haven't started traveling yet, but we are hoping to get going soon.  Possibly Paris for my birthday...?!  More later!

3 comments:

  1. So wonderful to hear an update! I hope you are soon settled with all of your stuff and things reach a comfortable routine! Just in time for that birthday - such a great day ;o) Is it funny that the surface your car is on brings back memories???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mini!!! And your cute German house!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What better way to celebrate a move but to have a new car! But I think you will need it to move around. It will help you go from one place to another, and do some strolling in Germany. Wir gratulieren on the move and on your new car! [Kyle Schmidt]

    ReplyDelete