Wednesday, April 23, 2014

My favorite tool in clinic

... the TONGUE DEPRESSOR.





















Okay, well it may not be my #1 favorite... because honestly, what would a doctor do without their stethoscope?!  But the tongue depressor is a pretty close second.

Why?  It's just a wooden stick, is it really that helpful?

Well yes, in fact it is!

1. First the obvious reason for which it was made - to examine the mouth and throat.

2. I can hand it to babies and it will distract them, keeping those little hands from grabbing my stethoscope while I listen to their heart and lungs.

3. I can assess neurologic development just by watching a baby interact with a tongue depressor: hand-eye coordination, visual accommodation, and object permanence; among other things.

4. I can break it in half and use it to assess sensation (using the broken end as "sharp" and the unbroken end as "dull").

5. I can also use a broken tongue depressor to scrape skin lesions for lab testing.

6.  It can work as a makeshift finger splint.

And then there are the non-medical uses for tongue depressors.  You can make fun arts & crafts projects.  You can use it to stir your coffee.  The possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment