I recently went on a girls' trip to Poland. It's about a 7 hour drive from here, so we were able to make the trip over a long weekend. I've seen Polish pottery before, and up until now it just didn't really interest me. But the more I saw it, the more I started to like it. And I love to see new places, so when my friend asked if I wanted to go to Poland, of course I said yes.
We drove to the town of Boleslawiec, which is a major pottery manufacturing town in Poland. It's just across the border between Germany and Poland. The main focus of the town is the production of Polish pottery, and there are dozens of factories and stores to visit. We had two full days of shopping. And shop we did!
Yes, these are exactly what they look like they are. Polish pottery penises.
 |
Pierogis are delicious Polish dumplings filled with meat & veggies. Yummy!!!
|
 |
| Shopping for pottery! |
 |
| This was a small out-of-the-way pottery shop in the country. |
 |
| The pottery molds inside the small shop. |
 |
| Quaint little restaurant we ate at for lunch. |
The last morning there, I woke up and walked around town to take a few pictures. The town of Boleslawiec is not much to write home about. The main square of the city is beautiful, with pastel-colored buildings circling a cobblestoned walking area. But don't be deceived... that's only one small square of Boleslawiec. The rest of it appeared very gray and dreary, kind of like you'd imagine a Soviet bloc city looking.
 |
| Our hotel! |
At the end of our trip, our wallets were empty and the car was full of pottery. Here are some pictures of my purchases.
I love all of these pieces because of their beauty, uniqueness and durability. These are actually all dishwasher, oven and microwave safe! Pretty and functional - I love it! Definitely a worthwhile trip.
I've never card as well. Went to a "polish pottery" store in Rodenbach last year and was informed by the owner that it is also called "bunzlauer" and used to be manufactured in germany. I've a few pieces and especially love my little ceramic spoons.
ReplyDeleteLove your new pottery ! What a treasure for when you are back Stateside!
ReplyDelete