Thursday, August 14, 2014

Doner shops



When we left Turkey, we thought we would no longer get to enjoy Turkish food (although to be honest, we were a little tired of it after two years there).  Boy, were we wrong!  Turns out doner kebab shops are a little like Starbucks... there's one on every corner and in every city of Europe.  What is a doner kebab, you ask?  It's a type of meat (usually lamb, beef or chicken) that's cooked on a vertical rotisserie and sliced off either onto a plate or wrapped in a pita.  There were doner stands all over Turkey, and sometimes it was a little unappetizing to see a slab of meat rotating on a stand all day in the hot Turkish sun.  So ironically, it wasn't until after we left Turkey that Shane and I got really into doners.

When we got to Germany, we discovered several local doner shops.  We decided to check them out because it was a quick & cheap meal, and because it was a little reminder of what had been home for two years.  And we discovered that we LOVE doner kebabs.  I've been told Germany has the best donors, and I must say I agree.  Not all doners are created equal, and I have had some terrible doners while traveling.  The worst one yet was in Belgium.  The meat was dry, the spices were bland, and the sauce had a sour mustard taste.

I wish I would've taken pictures of all the doner shops we have come across.  They really are ubiquitous here in Europe.  I've seen them in Paris, Prague, Barcelona, Berlin, Salzburg, Amsterdam, Brussels, and even Venice (honestly, who would eat a doner when you're in ITALY?!).

But wouldn't you know, the very best doner shop we've been to just happens to be the one near our village.  How lucky is that!  Man, it is amazing!  We go fairly regularly, and it always satisfies.  I know we will miss it when we leave.




1 comment:

  1. New one to me, but glad I did NOT forego the wonderfulItalian dishes in Venice and try one....maybe next trip to Europe!!

    ReplyDelete