I love the scene from "Mean Girls" when the main character, Cady, makes the following observation:
"In the real world, Halloween is when kids dress up in costumes and beg for candy. In Girl World, Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything else about it."
She shows up to a Halloween party dressed up as a zombie bride, while all the other girls are Playboy bunnies or sexy vampires.
I love Cady's innocence in this movie. She grew up in the African bush, she loves math, and wears plaid shirts & comfy jeans. Then she meets "the Plastics" and she discovers this whole new world of fashion, gossip, and hypersexuality. The movie does a great job of showing how that world first confuses her, then entices her, then destroys her.
Since when did it become socially acceptable to dress slutty on Halloween? Who decided it was okay to make Halloween a celebration of the objectification of women?
To my fellow sisters out there. I'm not attacking or judging you. I know we all want to feel sexy and show off our assets (no pun intended). But there's a difference between sexy and slutty (a topic I want to write more about later)... and contrary to what Cady said in "Mean Girls", you can dress like a slut on Halloween, but THIS girl is gonna say something about it.

No comments:
Post a Comment