Friday, October 24, 2014

Year of lasts

It's that time.  When you've gotten down to the last year of an assignment.  The months remaining are now single digits.  If you're at a base that you hate, then this is an exciting time.  You start counting down the days and telling everyone how much you're looking forward to your next assignment.  Many people did that in Turkey.  I sort of felt that way.  It was a difficult assignment because of the remote location and my work situation.  I called it a "love-hate relationship".  There were things I loved about Turkey (the Turkish people, the lifelong friends we made, the culture and atmosphere of the Middle East).  But I also couldn't wait to move on.

Germany is different.  There is really nothing I hate about living here.  My job is busy, but not terribly stressful or crazy.  Shane and I have a great church home.  I've made some amazing friends.  And of course there are endless travel opportunities.  But also, Germany feels like home to me.  I spent 3.5 years of my childhood here, during my very formative years.  I have "German parents" here (good friends of my parents).  This area and the German people just feel so familiar to me.  When we moved here from Turkey, it was almost like I was coming home.

So this last year of our assignment is sad for me.  It's the year of lasts.  Last fall in Germany.  Last snowfall.  Last Christmas market.  Last wine fest.  Last, last, last.  I know it's possible we could live here again one day.  But that's not certain, and it may not be for a very long time.  So for now, we are entering our last few months in this beautiful country.  And I'm going to enjoy every last moment we have left here.

No comments:

Post a Comment