Friday, July 18, 2014

Dying an old pair of jeans

Do you have any old jeans that you love and they still fit great, but they are faded?  Well I have an old pair of jeans that have become so faded, I only wear them when I'm lounging.  I decided to experiment on them to see if I could rejuvenate them with a little dye job.  I figured if I messed them up it wouldn't matter because I don't really wear them "out".  I looked up some tutorials online, ordered the dye (I couldn't find it overseas) and got to work!

1. The first step is to gather your supplies.  I used Rit black & navy blue dyes, and I used a ratio of 1:2, respectively.  So for my pair of jeans, I used 1/4 the bottle of black dye and 1/2 the bottle of navy blue dye.  I also added salt (the dye bottle suggests 1 cup), which helps the dye absorb better.



2. Next you mix everything in a bucket with HOT water (and it's a good idea to wear gloves!).  Then I simply placed my jeans in the bucket and let them soak for about 30 minutes.


3. Rinse the jeans until the water runs clear, then wash in the washing machine (with cold water) and dry!  That's it.  So easy, and I really saw a difference (it's not as obvious in the pictures, but they really do look better).




 *I used this website, which had great step-by-step instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-redye-your-jeans/




1 comment: