Well apparently we were the only ones planning on "racing". I don't know if it's a Color Run thing or a European thing, but it just did NOT seem like a race. First of all, there was no clock. So we had no idea how fast we ran our 5K. Secondly, people were literally strolling through the course. Not fast-walking, but slowly meandering through like it was a Sunday walk in the park.
So as we observed this, my friend Katie and I started to joke about "how to run a race in Europe".
1. Light up a cigarette before the race. Like while you're in the holding area getting ready to start. Yep, that's what the guy right next to us did.
2. Stop at a biergarten for a drink 100 yards into the race. About 5 guys peeled off of the race course to go get beers, right after we started. Seriously.
3. Stop to use the port-a-potty 2 minutes into the run. First of all, why didn't you pee before the race started? Secondly, why is a port-a-potty necessary on a 5K run? I can understand having them around for marathons, but a 5K? You can't just hold it?
4. Check your Facebook and/or Instagram while running/walking. Stop dead in the center of the path to do so, nearly causing others to crash into you.
5. Pose for a selfie. I saw several girls posing on the race course for pictures that I'm sure they were posting immediately.
6. Play football while running, and make sure you throw the ball in front of other runners. If you can take a runner out with the ball, you get extra points. (I was really tempted to intercept one of their passes and throw the football into a wooded area)
7. Stop 50 yards before the finish line to drink a beer. There was a beer stand at the end of the race. As Katie and I were finishing the race, we noticed everybody stopping short of the finish line to stop at the beer stand. We chose to finish the race. I know, we're so weird.
8. Smoke a cigarette at the end of the race. Why not?
All joking aside, it was a really fun day. I'm so glad I have co-workers who I enjoy hanging out with, and this was a really great morale-building event. Here are a few pictures from our day:
![]() |
| Asian pose! |
![]() |
| Our awesome Peds team! |
![]() |
| Me and my cute hubby. |



So fun! I love that you're blogging again! I haven't had time to keep up, but I will certainly CATCH up soon :) Way to run!
ReplyDeleteFunny! I love the tu-tus. What did the "color" represent? Is this a celebration of diversity?
ReplyDeleteVery funny!! Although I have actually the ball kicking or throwing in American races. I think it is a way to prove endurance. But the others had me laughing out loud.
ReplyDelete