Friday, May 23, 2014

That annoying photographer

Have you ever seen a group of tourists with their cameras out, shoving each other aside and muscling their way to the best spot to try to snap a photo?  Oftentimes it's a group of Asians (I feel I'm allowed to make that stereotype, being half-Asian myself).


Well recently I was on a trip with a group of photographers.  It was a photography workshop, so obviously we took our cameras everywhere with us.  And there were times I felt slightly self-conscious about it; especially as we were all huddled on a bridge for a photo op and a local weaved their way through all of our tripods, muttering something in Italian as they went by.  Then there was our trip to a quiet monastery; as the monk greeted us at the door with half a dozen cameras pointed at him, clicking away, he joked, "Are you sure this isn't a Japanese group?"

Nobody wants to be that annoying photographer.  Certainly not the group I was with.  They were there to explore their art, to soak in the beauty of Venice.  But inevitably, somebody would end up blocking a walkway or getting in another person's way.  It's just what happens when you're in a crowded city like Venice.

As I watched these photographers in action, I thought about how easy it could be to stereotype these people and think "Wow, what an annoying tourist" as they maneuver their heavy equipment and crouch in awkward positions to get the best possible shot.  But then I realized something.  Without these photographers, we wouldn't have photos like these:


Photos that have the ability to stir the soul and evoke a wide range of emotions.  Photos that tell a story.  Photos that capture a moment in time, a precious memory.

So next time you find yourself getting annoyed by a photographer... just remember, they are creating art.  And like any artist, they may feel inspired at the most random (and sometimes inopportune) times.  I'm not saying this completely excuses a photographer from having common courtesy.  Every individual on my trip was conscious of others, making sure to not get in someone's way or hold up the group.  But just be patient with your friends (or even strangers you come across) with a love for photography.  It is just as much an art form as a painter and his easel; it just doesn't appear as glamorous when you're watching the artist in action.  But the outcome is every bit as moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment